Thursday, September 8, 2011

Estonian Ska and Russian Visas

A lot has happened in the past week, and I haven't been bothered to write it all down (until now, of course). I know my ones and ones of readers have been waiting impatiently for this update, so here it goes. The main point of interest is that I saw an Estonian ska band last Friday. The band's name was "Ska Faktor," and they performed both original songs in Estonian and English-language covers including Reel Big Fish and stuff like "The Ghostbusters Theme" and The Turtles' "So Happy Together." They were at a place called the Gunpowder Cellar which, if you'll recall, I mentioned earlier as having the highest pub ceiling in the world (I even got a picture of the Guinness record sign that I posted on here earlier). I also took video but I've been having issues uploading them to the net so that may have to wait (it was the main reason I didn't update sooner). 

Classes have been going fairly well, I've been busy going through the University bureaucracy trying to get a library card, trying to get things printed, getting signed up for things, buying class materials, etc etc etc. I hope I'm in the clear for now. Of course there is also a planned trip to Russia in the future, actually there are two.  I was initially signed up for the weekend trip to St. Petersburg the first weekend of October. However, there is going to be a five day trip to St. Petersburg AND Moscow the next weekend, so I may get switched to that. The lady I talked to at the travel agency said that since American visas to Russia cost so much and involve so much paperwork (more than double than for Europeans in cost and paperwork) I should get my money's worth and see more of the country. She really didn't have to do much convincing on that point. So one way or the other I will be planning on visiting Russia this semester, just as soon as I fill out all these ridiculous forms, get my visa photos, and do all the other grunt work involved. I think that's all I have for now! Check out the latest photos I've taken, most of the Gunpowder Cellar, with some other random ones thrown in:




Second level of the Gunpowder Cellar (PĆ¼ssirohukelder), a real old-timey Gunpowder Cellar built by the Russians, I believe? And later converted into a pub, of course.

The famous high ceiling (we're still on the upper level here)

The "man-sized" (as listed in the menu) house beer, which I think is a combination of red wine and beer that smells and tastes like teriyaki. Kinda gross, IMO.

The pub is popular with all ages, as evidenced by this photo of a large group of older patrons.

I took a lot of pictures of the ceiling because I didn't know if they would turn out with the lighting. Good enough, I guess.

Almost immediately after I took this photo we decided to go down  in front of them.

The high ceiling from the lower level, with the bar below.

You can pay to have your own personalized mug here, and they hang it on the walls, as you can see.

I swear I don't just eat Lay's all the time, but I do enjoy reading/trying all the flavors. Estonians don't have much tolerance for spice, apparently; the label was very misleading. It wasn't spicy at all.

I just figured out that the bike racks here spell out the street names (this one is uueturu, I don't know if you can make it out). It's hard to tell unless you're standing at the right angle. Pretty cool!

1 comment:

  1. Where is the "Like" button? The bike rack thing is way cool and the high ceiling at the pub may be even cooler! Enjoying your writing and pictures. Keep 'em coming~! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete